Close Menu
GRASSROOTS PARROT
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Education
    • Agric
    • Climate Report
    • Economy
    • Women Affairs
    • Special Reports
    • Africa
  • Investigations
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Environment
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Opinions
    • Videos
    • Podcasts
    • Trending
  • About
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) WhatsApp Telegram
GRASSROOTS PARROT
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Education
    • Agric
    • Climate Report
    • Economy
    • Women Affairs
    • Special Reports
    • Africa
  • Investigations
  • Business

    Sachet Water Producers Stop Operations Over Rising Costs

    March 18, 2026

    Global Oil Prices Rise 5% After Dangote Refinery Cuts Petrol by ₦100

    March 11, 2026

    Tinubu Nominates Tax Guru Taiwo Oyedele As Minister 

    March 3, 2026

    FG Begins Implementation of Executive Order On Direct Remittance Of Oil Revenues To FAAC

    March 2, 2026

    Shettima Announces N5bn Relief For Kano Market Fire Victims

    February 16, 2026
  • Politics

    Presidency Knocks Peter Obi Over One-Term ‘Gun To My Head’ Vow

    May 14, 2026

    JUST IN: Obi Dumps ADC, Cites Internal Crisis

    May 3, 2026

    Galadima Confirms Kwankwaso, Obi’s Exit From ADC

    May 2, 2026

    Kano APC Endorses Tinubu, Gov Yusuf; Rejects Automatic Tickets for Lawmakers

    May 1, 2026

    JUST IN: Turaki-Led PDP Faction Loses At Supreme Court

    April 30, 2026
  • Environment
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Opinions
    • Videos
    • Podcasts
    • Trending
  • About
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
GRASSROOTS PARROT
Home » Many Nigerians Feared Dead As Boat Capsizes Off Libya 
Africa

Many Nigerians Feared Dead As Boat Capsizes Off Libya 

Editor1By Editor1February 10, 2026
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram
BOAT CAPSIZE

No fewer than 53 migrants, including two babies, are feared dead or missing after a rubber boat carrying 55 people capsized off the Libyan coast, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) has said.

Grassroots Parrot reports that the UN migration agency disclosed in a statement that only two Nigerian women survived the tragedy after they were rescued during a search-and-rescue operation by Libyan authorities.

According to the IOM, the overcrowded boat overturned in the frigid waters of the central Mediterranean Sea, north of the coastal town of Zuwara, over the weekend.

One of the Nigerian survivors reportedly told rescuers that her husband drowned, while the other said both of her babies died in the incident. The women said the vessel had been carrying migrants and refugees from several African countries.

The boat was said to have departed from Zawiya at about 11 p.m. on Thursday. Trouble began roughly six hours later when it started taking on water before eventually capsizing.

Although the intended destination of the passengers remains unclear, many migrant boats leaving Libya attempt the perilous journey to the Italian island of Lampedusa, located about 350 kilometres from Zawiya.

READ ALSO: 13 Dead In Niger River Boat Tragedy Near Niger-Benin Border

UN aid agencies have repeatedly warned that the open rubber dinghies often used for such crossings are wholly unfit for the dangerous voyage.

IOM described the disaster as the latest in a series of shipwrecks occurring amid harsh winter conditions, warning that many more tragedies may go unrecorded.

“IOM does not consider Libya to be a safe port for migrants,” the agency stated.

The organization also raised alarm over the continued dangers migrants face in Libya, citing recent discoveries of mass graves and illegal detention centres in the eastern part of the country.

Following a raid on an unlawful detention site in Ajdabiya, IOM said investigations suggested victims had been held captive and tortured to extort ransom payments from their families.

In a separate incident in Kufra, authorities uncovered an underground detention facility three metres below ground level, where 221 migrants and refugees — including women, children, and a one-month-old baby — were freed. Initial findings indicated they had been held for prolonged periods under severely inhumane conditions.

To assist vulnerable migrants, IOM facilitates voluntary humanitarian return flights. In late January, the agency supported the return of 177 Nigerian migrants.

Data from IOM’s Missing Migrants Project shows that at least 375 people were reported dead or missing in the central Mediterranean in January alone. Between January 1 and February 7, no fewer than 781 migrants were intercepted at sea and returned to Libya, including 244 in just the past week.

READ ALSO: Many Feared Dead In Tragic Zamfara Boat Mishap

Trafficking and smuggling networks have thrived in Libya since the fall of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, exploiting desperate migrants by sending them to sea in unsafe vessels, the agency said.

 

IOM renewed its call for stronger international cooperation and the expansion of safe, legal migration pathways, adding that it continues to work with national and regional authorities to dismantle trafficking networks and support survivors.

Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

Related Posts

BREAKING: Boko Haram Attacks Borno school, Abduct Pupils

May 15, 2026

African Experts Raise Alarm Over Threats To Democracy At EU Conference

May 14, 2026

Presidency Knocks Peter Obi Over One-Term ‘Gun To My Head’ Vow

May 14, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest Posts

Bribery Allegation: Kano Judicial Commission Sacks Worker, Demotes Court Registrar

February 10, 20251,124

Kano Govt Insists 6 p.m. to 6 a.m Curfew Remains Despite End of Hunger Protest

August 12, 20241,079

Kano Govt Clarifies Curfew Relaxation Amid Growing Rumours

August 4, 2024949

BREAKING: Kano Govt Suspends Curfew

August 12, 2024752
Don't Miss
Crime

BREAKING: Boko Haram Attacks Borno school, Abduct Pupils

By Editor1May 15, 2026

Suspected Boko Haram insurgents have reportedly attacked a Primary and Junior Secondary School in Mussa…

African Experts Raise Alarm Over Threats To Democracy At EU Conference

May 14, 2026

Presidency Knocks Peter Obi Over One-Term ‘Gun To My Head’ Vow

May 14, 2026

Plateau Fresh Attack Claims 13 Lives, Injure Scores

May 8, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Telegram
  • WhatsApp
About Us

Grassroots Parrot is a community-oriented online news medium focusing on social justice issues and how they are affecting people in the rural areas. We adopt tripod approaches of investigative, developmental and solution journalism to unearth developmental challenges and hold authorities accountable on possible...

Email Us: info@grassrootsparrot.com
Contact: +2348060183014

Facebook X (Twitter) WhatsApp Telegram
Recent Posts

BREAKING: Boko Haram Attacks Borno school, Abduct Pupils

May 15, 2026

African Experts Raise Alarm Over Threats To Democracy At EU Conference

May 14, 2026

Presidency Knocks Peter Obi Over One-Term ‘Gun To My Head’ Vow

May 14, 2026
Most Popular

Bribery Allegation: Kano Judicial Commission Sacks Worker, Demotes Court Registrar

February 10, 20251,124

Kano Govt Insists 6 p.m. to 6 a.m Curfew Remains Despite End of Hunger Protest

August 12, 20241,079

Kano Govt Clarifies Curfew Relaxation Amid Growing Rumours

August 4, 2024949
© 2026 GRASSROOTS PARROT
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

WhatsApp Share