Some determined constituents of Kogi Central Senatorial District on Thursday vowed never to back down on the recall process of Sen. Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan from the National Assembly.
Grassroots Parrot reports that the constituents insisted that they would fine-tune the process.
The constituents, in a statement issued on Thursday by Salihu Habib, said there was no going back on their resolve to bring the Kogi senator back home.
They, however, thanked the Independent National Electoral Commission for validating 208,132 (43.86 per cent) signatures in the petition earlier submitted to it for Akpoti-Uduaghan’s recall.
The renewed determination by the concerned constituents was sequel to INEC’s declaration of some defects in the recall petition they had hitherto presented to it.
READ ALSO: JUST IN: INEC Rejects Petition To Recall Senator Natasha, Gives Reason
INEC had, in a statement on its X handle on Thursday said the petition failed to meet the minimum requirement prescribed by the 1999 Constitution (as amended).
The constituents, who are registered voters of Kogi Central, said that they had mobilised more than the 50 per cent plus one threshold of registered voters and submitted their petition with full documentation.
They, however, noted that the validation of 43.86 per cent by INEC was a confirmation that Kogi Central constituents had rejected the senator.
“Apparently, INEC cancelled not less than 35,000 signatures from the administrative signatures collected.
“We will liaise with INEC within the full ambits of the constitution and regulations to demand for transparency in the handling of our petition.
“We have utmost confidence in the commission not to subject the recall process to ambiguity or administrative opacity,” they said.
They expressed gratitude to INEC for proving naysayers, who queried the authenticity of their figures, wrong.
READ ALSO: Nobody Can Recall Natasha From Senate- Senator Abbo
“We thank INEC for making it clear that the bulk of the people of Kogi Central are behind us and that we did not import a crowd like a desperate, embattled lawmaker,” they said.
The petitioners insisted that the recall of Akpoti-Uduaghan “for misconduct and divisiveness” was non-negotiable.
“We are firm in our resolve to restore dignified and collaborative representation to Kogi Central senatorial district. We will no longer indulge someone who will do and say anything just to remain politically relevant.
“The whole of Nigeria watched her deceptive rally last Tuesday where she openly made comments capable of setting, not just Kogi State, but Nigeria ablaze.
“We will pursue all lawful and constitutional means to ensure our voices are heard and respected. After God, power belongs to the people,” they stated.
Meanwhile, the chief press secretary (CPS) to the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Rotimi Oyekanmi, says the constitution does not limit the number of times a lawmaker can be recalled.
READ ALSO: Kogi LG Imposes Curfew Ahead Of Natasha’s Sallah Rally
Responding to whether the recall process could be repeated when he appeared on Channels TV, Oyekanmi said the law does not specify if or how many times it can be conducted.
He noted that INEC was not partisan in its handling of the failed recall petition against Akpoti-Uduaghan.
Earlier on Thursday, INEC said the recall petition against Natasha failed to meet the requirements of the Constitution as the number of constituents who signed the petition fell short of 50 percent of registered voters.
In her remarks, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan said though belated, the decision of the electoral umpire INEC to reject a petition for her recall was in the right direction.
The suspended lawmaker argued that most of the addresses provided in her recall petition were false because most houses in her district weren’t labeled.
She also noted that the name of organisation championing the recall was not registered by the CAC.