Close Menu
GRASSROOTS PARROT
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Education
    • Agric
    • Climate Report
    • Economy
    • Women Affairs
    • Special Reports
    • Africa
  • Investigations
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Environment
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Opinions
    • Videos
    • Podcasts
    • Trending
  • About
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) WhatsApp Telegram
GRASSROOTS PARROT
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Education
    • Agric
    • Climate Report
    • Economy
    • Women Affairs
    • Special Reports
    • Africa
  • Investigations
  • Business

    Tinubu Signs Tax Reform Bills Into Law, Targets Investment and Revenue Growth

    June 26, 2025

    Tinubu Set To Sign Tax Reform Bills Into Law, Promises Fairer Economy For Nigerians

    June 26, 2025

    Blackout Looms As Electricity Workers Give Strike Notice

    June 5, 2025

    Emir Sanusi Woos Foreign Investors, Assures Opportunities, Profit Margin In Nigeria

    May 8, 2025

    Dangote Accuses Oil ‘Cabal’ Of Sabotaging His $20B Refinery

    May 5, 2025
  • Politics

    Kwankwaso Speaks On Leaving NNPP Ahead Of 2027 Election

    August 28, 2025

    Gov. Yusuf To Probe Ganduje Over Alleged Sale Of Kano Abattoir

    August 27, 2025

    Ganduje Clean, Not Corrupt — Aide

    August 26, 2025

    APC Wins Kano Re-Run Election, Defeats NNPP

    August 17, 2025

    Police Restrict Movement Ahead Of By-Elections In Kano

    August 14, 2025
  • Environment
  • Sports
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Opinions
    • Videos
    • Podcasts
    • Trending
  • About
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
GRASSROOTS PARROT
Home » Govt Declares Curfew As Aggrieved Youths Set INEC Office Ablaze
News

Govt Declares Curfew As Aggrieved Youths Set INEC Office Ablaze

Editor1By Editor1July 3, 2024
Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram
INEC OFFICE IN BENUE

Some aggrieved youths in Benue State burnt down the office of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Sankara, headquarters of Ukum Local Government Area, on Wednesday.

National Commissioner and Chairman of the Information and Voter Education Committee, Sam Olumekun, confirmed this in a statement.

Olumekun quoted Prof. Sam Egwu, Resident Electoral Commissioner for Benue as saying the youths invaded the facility around 2pm.

“The Resident Electoral Commissioner for Benue State, Professor Sam Egwu has reported that our Local Government Area office in Sankara, headquarters of Ukum Local Government Area, has been attacked and burnt down.

“The incident occurred at 2 p.m. today, Wednesday 3rd July 2024, when the youths in the area were said to be protesting against the activities of bandits who attacked facilities of government agencies, including INEC.

READ ALSO: River Ownership: Benue Govt. Sacks Communities From Disputed River After 30 Years Of Deadly Fight

“Although no casualties were reported, the building has been extensively damaged. Office furniture and other movable and immovable materials, including 10 electric generators, 300 ballot boxes, and 270 voting cubicles, were destroyed in the attack.”

Governor Hyacinth Alia had declared an indefinite curfew on Ukum Local Government Area as a result of violent protest.

The protests broke out in Sankera in the early hours of Wednesday following the fresh killings of 11 people by bandits who have severally gone on rampage in the area and meted cruelty to the villagers.

The protesters were alleged to have torched the council’s secretariat as they laid dead bodies of victims on the parking lot of the Council Chairman, Victor Iorzaa.

Iorzaa had told journalists in Makurdi earlier that he could not comment on the matter.

READ ALSO: Bandits Kill University Lecturer, Abduct Children

The governor, who imposed the curfew through his deputy, Barr. Sam Ode, cited the grave security situation in the region which has led to the wanton destruction of property leading to instability of the area as reason for his action.

“Beginning today, 3rd July 2024, a curfew be imposed on Ukum Local Government and environs beginning from 3pm to 3pm of tomorrow 4th July 2024.

“The curfew shall be observed from 6pm to 6am beginning from tomorrow 4th of July 2024 untill further notice.”

Alia further called for calm, saying security operatives had been deployed in their numbers to keep the peace in Ukum in particular and the Sankera region at large.

Daily Trust

Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

Related Posts

Food Seller Stoned To Death In Niger Over Alleged Blasphemy

August 31, 2025

FG Raises Alarm Over Immoral ‘Sign-Out’ Culture In Schools, Varsities

August 29, 2025

How Trailer Crushes Woman Returning From Farm In Abuja

August 29, 2025
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest Posts

Bribery Allegation: Kano Judicial Commission Sacks Worker, Demotes Court Registrar

February 10, 20251,080

Kano Govt Insists 6 p.m. to 6 a.m Curfew Remains Despite End of Hunger Protest

August 12, 20241,065

Kano Govt Clarifies Curfew Relaxation Amid Growing Rumours

August 4, 2024937

BREAKING: Kano Govt Suspends Curfew

August 12, 2024735
Don't Miss
News

Food Seller Stoned To Death In Niger Over Alleged Blasphemy

By Editor IIIAugust 31, 2025

A female food seller, simply identified as Ammaye, has been lynched by an angry mob…

When Brilliance is Mocked: The ₦200,000 Reward that Shamed Nigeria

August 30, 2025

FG Raises Alarm Over Immoral ‘Sign-Out’ Culture In Schools, Varsities

August 29, 2025

How Trailer Crushes Woman Returning From Farm In Abuja

August 29, 2025
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Telegram
  • WhatsApp
About Us

Grassroots Parrot is a community-oriented online news medium focusing on social justice issues and how they are affecting people in the rural areas. We adopt tripod approaches of investigative, developmental and solution journalism to unearth developmental challenges and hold authorities accountable on possible...

Email Us: info@grassrootsparrot.com
Contact: +2348060183014

Facebook X (Twitter) WhatsApp Telegram
Recent Posts

Food Seller Stoned To Death In Niger Over Alleged Blasphemy

August 31, 2025

When Brilliance is Mocked: The ₦200,000 Reward that Shamed Nigeria

August 30, 2025

FG Raises Alarm Over Immoral ‘Sign-Out’ Culture In Schools, Varsities

August 29, 2025
Most Popular

Bribery Allegation: Kano Judicial Commission Sacks Worker, Demotes Court Registrar

February 10, 20251,080

Kano Govt Insists 6 p.m. to 6 a.m Curfew Remains Despite End of Hunger Protest

August 12, 20241,065

Kano Govt Clarifies Curfew Relaxation Amid Growing Rumours

August 4, 2024937
© 2025 GRASSROOTS PARROT
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

WhatsApp Share